Thursday, February 24, 2011

Engagement Session FAQ - New York, NY Engagement Photographer

He popped the question?! Congratulations! You're probably considering an engagement session and have a few lingering questions. You're not really sure what to expect, have no clue what to wear, and kinda camera shy. I thought I'd post little FAQ addressing the most commonly asked questions about the engagement session and how to prepare for it. 

When should we schedule our engagement session?
Schedule your engagement session during the months when the weather is gorgeous, and try to get them done at least two months before the wedding. The earlier the better especially if you’re thinking about using these photos for your Save the Dates or Guest Book. Plan on your shoot being early in the morning (at least one hour after sunrise), or late afternoon (at least one hour before sunset). Those are truly the most beautiful times of day for portraits of any kind.

What can we expect from the engagement session?
The engagement session is about me getting to know you as a couple and you getting to know me as your photographer. We’ll get to talking, have fun and get to know each other better all while taking pretty pictures. My goal at the end of the session is to make you feel comfortable in front of the camera and feel comfortable with me as the person by your side on your wedding day.

Must we book you as our wedding photographer in order to have the engagement session?
Not at all - I’m happy to shoot your engagement session even if you decide to use someone different on your wedding day.

Where will the session take place?
I have a few locations I enjoy shooting which I can recommend to you, but love it when couples suggest their favorite location – like where you went on your first date, had your first kiss, or where he popped the question. It definitely brings a new level of intimacy to the photos.

What should I wear?
It’s all about your personal style, but don’t hesitate to really kick it up a notch. You’re making an investment in this session and it’s your time to shine! For truly editorial type images careful consideration to your wardrobe is absolutely necessary. Show your personality by adding your favorite accessories. A sexy wrap dress or flirty sundress are great ideas. Heels are a girl’s best friend! And if you’re really daring, whip out that sequined cocktail dress you only got to wear once. I’ll love you for it! Bold, happy colors that compliment your skin are without a doubt the way to go. Stay away from clothing with large logos, or busy print.  And for the guys, if your lovely lady steps out in heels and cocktail dress, you might want to pair that with a nice button up or blazer – that look will certainly do the trick. Do bring at least two outfits, as long as there is time during our session, I would love to give you different options. I've styled dozens of shoots over the years, for both my own model portfolio and for others.  I'm happy to make suggestions, if you need any help!

What about hair and makeup?
I strongly recommend professional hair and makeup for your session.  Especially professional makeup! As I mentioned before, this is an investment in photos you’ll look at and share for years to come. Professionally done makeup looks magical on camera. The pros know which colors compliment certain skin tones, which shades of makeup work best on camera and the tricks to accentuate your best features. I promise you won’t regret being dolled up. Go extra crazy – try false eyelashes!! Of course, if you decide a makeup artist is not for you, that's perfectly fine too. Its possible to get a mini makeover at a cosmetics counter in a department store if you purchase an item or two - This will look just as fab! As for hair, making a trip to your favorite salon the morning of usually does the trick. For the guys, if its time for a haircut, I recommend getting it done one week before the session. And if you want the clean shaved look – do it the morning of, and be very careful !
Extra Tip - prep your hands and nails for closeups - fresh manicure for the girls, and trimmed clean nails for the guys. 

I’m nervous! I have no idea what to do or how to pose.
Being nervous is natural – but please don’t worry too much.  Once you’re all dolled up, hair and makeup styled, beautiful outfit and handsome man by your side, the rest will fall into place. You will radiate confidence!  I will put you in great light and you give lots of direction. My 5+ years in the fashion industry as a plus size model will work to your advantage here, ladies. I love posing and getting you to work your curves! Get ready for lots of snuggling, lots of smooching, a few of my corny jokes and most importantly get ready to tap into your inner GQ/Supermodel!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
CoffeeShop Designs